Message from the Principal
December 18, 2014
We have had questions come to our attention after this first month of school...
What is STARS? STARS stands for Students/Teachers Accepting Responsibility to Succeed.
When is STARS class held? It is held every day for 30 minutes. It is held between 4th and 6th periods. The Be CLASSY! gratitude journal is written in each day for the first 10 minutes of STARS.
What is CLASSY? This is an anti-bullying, self-esteem building program. It stands for:
C - count your blessings
L - look for the good
A - acts of kindness
S - service projects
S - self-motivation
Y- you are valued
What is the schedule for STARS? MONDAY: CLASSY discussion; TUESDAY: advisory, grades, and goals gone over, reading/homework; WEDNESDAY: advisory, grades, and goals gone over, reading/homework; THURSDAY: CLASSY discussion; FRIDAY: CLASSY discussion.
When are clubs held? Clubs are held after school hours between 2:45-3:35 p.m. A board by the office displays what days different clubs are held.
What is Power Hour? Power Hour is a time for students to get missing assignments done. It, also, provides time to work with teachers individually. It is held on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 2:45-3:35 p.m. Students with low grades are expected to attend.
When can I contact my child's teachers? Please call the main office to set up an appointment with your child's STARS teacher. They meet daily as a team so you can meet with all his/her teachers at the same time. You can check your student's grades, and email teachers; just click on their link in PowerSchool.
Where can I find SVMS student guidelines and policies? All students were given a planner and the policies and guidelines are listed in the planner.
What is Remediation Wednesday? Every Wednesday students who have low grades will be asked to go to a remediation study hall. This will take place during teachers' teaming time, during the students' elective class.
What is Warrior Clan? Warrior Clan is for students who, over time, keep their grades and citizenship points up. There are activities four times a year for students who qualify.
How can I check my child's grades? Log on to the following website: ps.lcsd2.org. If you are a new user, please contact our main office.
Where can I find sports calendars and other information about happenings at SVMS? Please log on to svms.org website.
WHAT'S HAPPENING AT SVMS:
*FOR SPORTS INFO...click on 'Activities' in the tab bar at the top of this page; then click 'Schedules' to see all the latest sports information.
- SVMS is having its annual FOOD DRIVE - Bring your non-perishable food items to the library by DECEMBER 19! Donations go to help families in need.
- GIRLS BASKETBALL TRYOUTS - begin Monday, December 15; must have physicals the first day!!!
- JAZZ BAND CLUB - Mondays/Wednesdays w/Mr. Dilworth
- DANCE CLUB - Tuesdays w/Mrs. Cunningham (limited to 15; sign up in office)
- ORIGAMI CLUB - Tuesdays w/Mrs. Lewis
- CHRISTMAS CRAFTS/ORNAMENTS/COOKIES - Tuesdays/Thursdays w/Mrs. Merritt and Mrs. Coates
- P.S. CIRCLE - Tuesdays w/Mr. Cazier in Mr. Haderlie's outer office
- PHOTO EDITING - Wednesdays w/Mrs. Johns
- SPIRIT TEAM - Mondays/Tuesdays in January and February; begins January 5; 3:00-4:45; sign-up in office by DEC. 19 if interested!
- ARCHERY CLUB - beginning Wednesday, January 7 in the cafeteria; see Mr. Isaacson BEFORE that date to get a parent permission form.
- TALENT SHOW - DECEMBER 23, see Mrs. Lewis if interested in participating (limited number of participants).
** CHRISTMAS BREAK - early release DECEMBER 23rd 11:10; school resumes JANUARY 5th, 2015.
- WRESTLING PRACTICE - beginning MONDAY, JANUARY 5.
NOTE: Students participating in any club MUST have a "C" average to participate.
*** LCSD2 TRANSPORTATION DEPARTMENT is on Facebook ***
REAL TIME updates on bus/route status, weather delays, and/or mechanical breakdowns; information on what is being done to work around problems, also. Search 'LCSD2 Transportation' in the search box once signed into Facebook. This will be a valuable tool once the weather turns bad!!
*2014-15 materials lists for 7th and 8th grade students are available on this website under 'QUICK LINKS'.